COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update
April 3, 2020
Theatre Rental Grants (TRG) for events scheduled for the spring 2020 season (Jan 1-Aug 31)
If you're able to reschedule your eligible event within the current spring 2020 Season, your grant can remain with your rescheduled activity.
If you would like to cancel your event, but have had previous activity in the spring 2020 season that was not allocated, your TRG may be transferred to the past use, as long as it took place at a Vancouver Civic Theatres (VCT) venue.
If you would like to cancel your TRG for spring 2020 use, the approved TRG can also be returned to a general, unallocated Theatre Rental Grants pool to be reallocated to other eligible cultural organizations providing immediate COVID-19 response.
Fall 2020 and spring 2021 grant applications
We're currently reviewing applications that were submitted for the March 25, 2020 deadline.
Are you an established or an emerging arts or culture organization that needs a well-equipped venue to produce an event?
Check out the Theatre Rental Grants Program. Restrictions apply, so view the documents below for all of the details.
February 12, 2020
March 25, 2020
- Vancouver-based, non-profit, professional arts or culture organization
- In operation for at least one year before the application deadline
- Mandated to present, produce, create, or develop arts and cultural work
- Actively promote your events to a citywide audience
Your organization may apply for this grant to rent:
- The Orpheum
- The Annex
- Vancouver Playhouse
- Queen Elizabeth Theatre
Grant funding can pay for:
- Venue fees, including the services of IATSE and City of Vancouver technicians during your theatre rental
- Front-of-house fees for the performance time
- Technical days and rehearsal uses
The funding can't pay for:
- Fundraising events for a third party (such as a group other than the applicant society)
- Events that aren't aligned with the society's mandate
- Administration charges (insurance, licenses, security)
- Taxes (GST)
- Technical service charges above what's included in a technical day (stage crew wages, dance floor installation, use of video for projection or recording, piano tuning, and so on)
- Audience services labour for pre- and post-show events and receptions, and charges for merchandising, licensing and commission, additional security, stage door, and so on
- Stage crew wages beyond what is included within the rental fee
How to apply
- Read the information guide PDF file (552 KB)
The information guide has details about:
- Program description and objectives
- Eligible applicants and activities
- Rental rates
- Contact the Vancouver Civic Theatres Theatre Rental Grant Administrator to confirm your organization's eligibility, check on venue availability, and complete a booking request form.
- Phone: 604-665-3028
- Email: email@example.com
- If your group and project are eligible, we will email you an invitation to apply online.
Contact Vancouver Civic Theatres
Location and mailing address
Vancouver Civic Theatres
649 Cambie Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 2P1