Permit fee assistance for cultural spaces
If you’re renovating, constructing, or adapting the use of a non-profit cultural space, you could be eligible for a grant to help pay for development- or building-permit fees.
The Permit Fee Assistance Program is now available as a Critical Assistance Capital Grant in the Cultural Spaces Grant program.
Funding will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis, until the annual budget is spent.
Our goal is to help expand and enhance access to safe and legal arts and cultural spaces in Vancouver.
Current status: now accepting applications
How to apply
- Visit the Development and Building Services Centre to:
- Learn what permits you'll need for your project
- Get checklists for what documents to submit with your permit applications
- Determine your eligibility by contacting the Cultural Spaces and Infrastructure Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting the grants planners directly:
- If your organization is eligible, we'll invite you to submit a Critical Assistance Capital Grant application for the total of your permit fees for your project, that are not already supported by a Cultural Infrastructure Grant, up to a maximum of $25,000, subject to available funds.
- Critical Assistance Capital Grants are processed as they are received. Contact the planners directly for information on timelines.
To be eligible for assistance, you need to meet all of the following criteria:
- You are a Vancouver-based non-profit organization with an arts and culture mandate.
- You own your space or have a secure rental tenancy.
- You are renovating, constructing, or adapting the use of your cultural space and will be applying for a building/development permit application
- In-progress projects may be eligible. Contact the planners directly for more information.
- Any permit fees for your project are not already covered by another City of Vancouver grant.
Review the Critical Assistance Capital Grant information in the Cultural Spaces Grant information guide (824 KB)