Development process redesign is a comprehensive analysis of our development process functions involving multiple City departments. The initial focus of this work is on the rezoning and development permit processes.
- Enhance clarity and predictability throughout the development process
- Instill confidence in the system
- Improve the customer experience
- Strengthen linkages between our priorities and the role of the development process
This project is one of several initiatives driven by short-term priorities 2C defined under our Corporate Plan’s strategic goal #2 “We’re working to build and protect the Vancouver economy”.
Development Process Redesign External Group (DPREG)
The Development Process Redesign External Group (DPREG) was formed in October 2020 to act as a panel of expert advisors with interests in clarifying and simplifying our rezoning and development process. DPREG was comprised of a cross-section of 25 participants from the development and construction industry, including both the for-profit and non-profit sectors.
From 2020 to 2021, City staff and the DPREG members collaborated in five meetings and three workshops to explore our rezoning process, provide feedback and guidance on the current process, and propose alternatives and strategies for process improvements. See the summary report from this consultation in the October 12 memo to Mayor and Council below.
- Development Process Redesign – Update and Directions PDF file (2.7 MB)
- The DPREG will turn their attention to the development permit process in 2023.