Room under renovation

Housing Renovation Centre

The Housing Renovation Centre (HRC) helps you get a development or building permit for:

  • Exterior renovations or additions
  • Major, "down-to-the-studs" interior alterations

to an existing one or two-family dwelling or laneway house in most "R" zones where design guidelines don't apply.

Some typical projects we help with include:

  • Adding dormers to your roof to increase ceiling heights
  • Adding a new room or deck to the rear of your house
  • Raising or shifting the location of your house

Minor, interior-only projects

If your project doesn’t require major upgrades, apply with our field review permit stream.

Energy and utility upgrade requirements

Do you know the energy and utility upgrades your project will require based on your renovation scope?

Find out by filling out this Renovation Upgrade Guide excel file (44 KB). 

Zoning and Development Services Centre

Some complex proposals may require Zoning and Development bylaw relaxations, or need to meet design guidelines. 

  1. Do you know which zone your property is in? Find out with VanMap.
  2. Do you know what parts of the Zoning and Development Bylaw affect your renovation or addition?
  3. Do you know if you need any relaxations to the bylaw(s) and design guidelines?
  4. Do you know of any existing non-conforming elements that may affect your proposal?
  5. Have you consulted an Energy Advisor (EA)? external link icon 

If you answered yes to all of the above, email the Development and Building Services Centre to set a meeting with a planner to discuss options regarding relaxations and non-conformities for your project.

  Email your request

If you answered no to any of the above, phone or visit our Development and Building Services Centre to get started. Bring your existing and proposed plans, and a scope of the work.

Apply for your permit with HRC

After you meet with Service Centre staff and read the related documents and topics below:

  1. Download and complete the Application Intake Meeting Request form  (38 KB) 
  2. Email the form and your plans in PDF format to

We'll reply within one week with your appointment date or with advice about next steps for your application.

Contact the Development and Building Services Centre about building and zoning


Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
Ground floor
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm

Tuesday, Thursday
8:30am to 4:00pm

Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon