If you are providing essential services in Vancouver during the COVID-19 pandemic (example: health care) and have no other options for childcare, request a childcare referral.
Vancouver families can look forward to having as many as 2,300 new child care spaces created through our new partnership with the Province and other sectoral partners. Read more External web site, opens in new tab
Children who have a good start in life do better at school and enjoy improved physical and mental health.
We recognize that children benefit from quality care, family support, and opportunities for play, learning, and connection. This is why childcare and early learning is reflected so prominently in our Healthy City Strategy.
- Partner with non-profit organizations to deliver quality, affordable, and accessible childcare
- Facilitate the development of infrastructure to support integrated childcare services, including licensed group care and other family support services
- Use financial tools to leverage facilities and land, and offset some operating costs
- Encourage senior governments to uphold their responsibility for childcare
Need help finding childcare?
Resources for childcare providers
Developing a childcare centre
The City helps create high quality, licensed childcare facilities throughout Vancouver. Get the City's Childcare Guidelines and apply for available grants.
Resources for delivering quality early learning programs
Useful resources to help Early Childhood Educators and administrators deliver high-quality licensed childcare programs.
Resources for parents and caregivers
Raising healthy children
Information, tools, and resources to help parents and guardians raise happy, healthy, and active children.
UBC Human Early Learning Partnership (HELP)
- Early Development Instrument (EDI) External web site, opens in new tab
- Middle Years Instrument (MDI) External web site, opens in new tab
HELP’s population level research helps inform the work of City staff by highlighting the ways in which children and youth in Vancouver may or may not be thriving.
Raising healthy children
- Westcoast Family Centres External web site, opens in new tab
- BC Healthy Child Development Alliance External web site, opens in new tab
- Mind in the Making – Essential Life Skills External web site, opens in new tab
- Supporting children’s social and emotional well-being External web site, opens in new tab
- Pace program for preschool children with behavioural or emotional challenge External web site, opens in new tab