What you need to know
Making Strides, Vancouver’s 10-year Childcare Strategy, aims to support access to a new universal system of early care and learning led by provincial and federal governments.
Vancouver’s Childcare Strategy focuses on:
- Supporting Indigenous children and families
- Ensuring equitable access to quality childcare
- Supporting renewal and resilience in our childcare infrastructure
Read the reports
Making Strides: Vancouver’s Childcare Strategy:
- Summary PDF file (781 KB)
- Policy framework PDF file (1.7 MB)
- Background and current state analysis (appendix E) PDF file (1.7 MB)
- Report: Childcare That Works – Extended Hour and 24-Hour Childcare PDF file (286 KB)
The strategy was adopted by City Council in June 2022.
Childcare is an essential service, planned as part of complete neighbourhoods. City-facilitated childcare spaces are developed and supported through partnerships and a variety of funding tools, including development cost levies and community amenity contributions.
In partnership with all levels of government, community, non-profit, and business sectors, Vancouver is planning for accessible, affordable, and quality childcare and early learning opportunities – ensuring that children, families, and communities in our city can learn, work, and thrive.