Most new development in the City of Vancouver pays Development Cost Levies (DCLs). A DCL is paid by property developers based on square footage.
DCLs are an important source of revenue for City facilities such as:
- Childcare facilities
- Social and non-profit housing
- Engineering infrastructure
TransLink Development Cost Charge in effect January 15, 2020
TransLink introduced a Development Cost Charge (DCC) to be applied to new developments in Metro Vancouver to help fund the construction or expansion of regional transportation projects. Local municipalities are responsible for collecting the DCC on behalf of TransLink.
The City of Vancouver has four DCL areas. These areas are divided into two district types:
- The Vancouver DCL and the Utilities DCL districts. These districts are city-wide with some exceptions
- Layered DCL districts. Developments in these districts are subject to the Vancouver DCL, Utilities DCL and the layered DCL
DCLs collected within each district must be spent within the area boundary, except housing related DCLs which can be spent anywhere in the city.
Map of the DCL districts
Public Benefit Strategies
Each of the City's DCL districts have a corresponding Public Benefit Strategy. Public Benefit Strategies identify:
- The demand and costs for new facilities
- The amount of contributions new development will bring in
- How DCL funds will be spent
DCL bylaws establish district boundaries and rates. Find information related to districts in the DCL bylaws.
- Vancouver (City-wide) Development Cost Levy Bylaw PDF file (77 KB)
- Vancouver Utilities Development Cost Bylaw PDF file (230 KB)
- Area-specific Development Cost Levy Bylaw PDF file (2.6 MB)
Find information on DCL rates, payments, exemptions and waivers in the DCL bulletin.
Annual reports and related documents
Get background information on DCLs. Select 'show more' to get details and documents.
If you would like historical reports, email Finance.Growth@vancouver.ca
Subscribe to our mailing list
Understand and compare
Community Benefits from Development
Learn about the community benefits that come with new development in our neighbourhoods.