The resources below can help families and caregivers raise happy, healthy, and active children in the City of Vancouver.
Health and Wellness Resources
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) offers a wide range of health services for infants, toddlers, school-aged children, and youth, as well as for parents and caregivers.
Healthy Families BC offers health and wellness information intended to equip parents and caregivers with the tools they need to make healthy life choices for their family from infancy through to adulthood.
- Healthy Families BC: Parenting resources
- Baby's Best Chance: Parents' Handbook of Pregnancy and Baby Care (16.2 MB)
- BC Healthy Child Development Alliance
HealthLink BC offers non-emergency support simply by dialing 8-1-1. The website also helps teens, and parents of children and teens, learn more about topics that affect their health and well-being.
Social Emotional Learning Resources
The PACE Program provides an intensive child and family program for preschool aged children (aged 3 to 5) showing significant emotional and/or behavioural challenges.
Mind in the Making - Essential Life Skills is a program that shares the science of children’s learning with the general public, families, and professionals who work with children and families.
Programs and services
Vancouver Public Library (VPL) has one of the largest collections of materials specifically for children, youth, and families in BC. There are also free programs available to children, youth, and parents at various branches.
Vancouver School Board (VSB) provides early learning programs for families with preschool age children, as well as a range of services for children and youth attending kindergarten through grade 12.
Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation offers a variety of sport, fitness, arts, education, and social activities for all ages and skill levels. Community centres also offer day camps during school holidays (spring break, summer, and winter break) and Pro D days.
BC211 Redbook connects families with a range of information and services relating to childcare, early learning and development, health, pregnancy, postpartum wellness, among others topics.
More resources for raising healthy children
- Westcoast Family Centres External web site, opens in new tab
- BC Healthy Child Development Alliance External web site, opens in new tab
- Mind in the Making – Essential Life Skills External web site, opens in new tab
- Supporting children’s social and emotional well-being External web site, opens in new tab
- Pace program for preschool children with behavioural or emotional challenge External web site, opens in new tab