Two renters discussing what their rights and protections are

Renter rights and relocation assistance due to redevelopment

Enhanced Broadway Plan area protections

On June 22, 2022, Council approved the Broadway Plan, which introduced enhanced tenant protections for renters in the Broadway Plan area, in addition to the existing City-wide Tenant Relocation and Protection Policy (TRPP).

For questions about Broadway Plan area tenant protections:

Learn more about the enhanced Broadway Plan area protections

For other renter-related concerns, visit renter supports and protections.

What you need to know

Find out how you're protected if your landlord plans to renovate or redevelop the unit you rent.

Your right to legal notice under the Residential Tenancy Act

Landlords must give four months’ notice to end tenancy for demolition, renovation or repair, or conversion, and tenants have 30 days to dispute the notice. The BC Residential Tenancy Act sets out requirements for the circumstances in which a landlord may end a tenancy for renovations, repairs, and redevelopment.

If your landlord plans to undertake major renovations or redevelop the building, they can give you a notice to end tenancy only when the following conditions are met: 

  • The landlord must have the necessary permits and approvals before giving notice to end tenancy
  • The landlord must intend, in good faith, to renovate or repair the rental unit
  • The renovations or repairs must be so extensive that they require the rental unit to be vacant

The BC Residential Tenancy Act sets out the requirements for the minimum notice that your landlord must give you to move out in the case of renovations to or demolition of your building, depending on your type of tenancy.

Type of tenancy Notice your landlord must give you to move out
Month-to-month 4 months notice and 1 month free rent
Fixed-term lease where you must move out at the end

None, only at the end of the fixed term

please note Fixed term tenancy agreements can no longer include a vacate clause requiring a tenant to move out at the end of the term unless: 
a. The tenancy agreement is a sublease agreement; or
b. The tenancy is a fixed term tenancy in circumstances prescribed in section 13.1 of the Residential Tenancy Regulation.  This Regulation specifies situations where a landlord or landlord’s close family member plans in good faith to occupy the rental unit.
Fixed-term lease where you can stay past the end 4 months notice, only at the end of the fixed term or after

Your right to dispute the notice

You can dispute a four month notice to end tenancy by applying for dispute resolution at the Residential Tenancy Branch within 30 days of receiving the notice.

If you dispute the notice, an arbitrator will decide whether you must move out and until they decide, the notice is put on hold.

Live in a single room accommodation (SRA) building?

Learn about your rights and relocation assistance by contacting the Downtown Eastside SRO Collaborative.

This non-profit advocacy group works to improve living conditions in SROs and prevent evictions due to redevelopment in Vancouver.

Visit or email

Additional assistance under Vancouver's Tenant Relocation and Protection Policy

The City's Tenant Relocation and Protection Policy was amended by Council on June 11, 2019 to provide increased compensation, support, and requirements for ongoing notice and communication in order to reduce the impact of relocation on existing tenants. The policy also includes enhanced supports prioritized based on need for vulnerable tenants.

Find more details on the amended Tenant Relocation and Protection Policy including policy requirements, tenant relocation process, and timing for implementation of the amended policy:

For information on policy requirements for applications where the policy prior to June 11, 2019 applies, see the following Tenant Relocation and Protection documents:

Get help with your rights and relocation assistance