To date, the program already has over 2,000 much-needed homes in the pipeline through 2019.
This pilot program aims for faster production of affordable housing by reducing development approval times for high impact multi-family housing projects by nearly 50%.
Launched in October 2017, SHORT is a two year pilot aimed at delivering 1,700 units of affordable housing through a dedicated team and streamlined development process.
By working closely with the developer – who can be non-profit, public, or private – we establish a schedule to complete rezoning approvals in 28 weeks and development permits in 12 weeks, cutting around 40 weeks out of the current process.
What projects qualify
- Level of affordability for renters
- Size of building and number of units
- Located on government or non-profit owned land with secured funding
- Adherence to regulations to qualify as a Zero Emissions Building
- Inclusion of Indigenous partner or residents
- Renewing and redeveloping existing social housing to provide more housing units
Our goal is to grant permit approvals in half the usual time.
If a project qualifies, applicants will:
- Be asked to sign a mutual commitment framework to start the process
- Work with our staff from initial enquiry through to issuance of development permit
- Be subject to compressed approvals where multiple processes can be completed and issued simultaneously
All applicants will be required to follow the same steps, review, and engagement processes as non-SHORT applicants. However, many steps will overlap resulting in faster approvals.
Timeline from enquiry to issuance
In development permit review
- 2221 Main St
- 3510 Fraser St
- 177 West Pender St
- 55-79 and 87-115 SW Marine Dr
- 3625 SawMill Crescent
- Housing Vancouver Strategy Council report, June 2018 (11 MB)
- Housing Vancouver Implementation Update, Council presentation, June 2018 (12 MB)
- Housing Vancouver Council presentation, November 2017 (4.5 MB)
- Affordable Housing Delivery and Financial Strategy (2018-2027) (740 KB)
- Housing Vancouver Council report, November 2017 (7 MB)
- Housing Vancouver Strategy, November 2017 (10 MB)
- Housing Vancouver Action Plan, November 2017 (402 KB)