Adopt a catch basin and help keep your neighbourhood a vibrant, safe, and healthy space.
Vancouver has over 45,000 catch basins removing excess water from our streets at every rainfall. Leaves, debris, and litter can block catch basins and stop rainwater from properly draining.
When you sign up to adopt a catch basin and keep it clear, you:
- Protect public and private property from flooding
- Protect water quality by keeping leaves and debris from flowing into our rivers and streams
- Provide a fun way to involve kids in giving back to the community
Adoption in three steps
- Choose and name your catch basin
- Check your email inbox for a welcome package
- Let the catch basin care begin!
Adopted a catch basin? Download your certificate PDF file (729 KB)
Is your catch basin not on the map or do you have other questions or comments about the program?
How to care for your catch basin
Caring for your catch basin is easy! The best time to check on your catch basin is before and after a heavy rainfall and when trees lose their leaves.
Check to make sure your catch basin is clear of leaves, debris, and litter.
If your catch basin is blocked, use a rake, broom, or shovel to push leaves and debris away from the curb and catch basin grate. This will allow water to drain into the catch basin and prevent flooding.
If you aren't able to unclog your catch basin and it's causing flooding, report the issue online or use our VanConnect app.