The initial consultation and engagement of the potential new arterial was included as part of the False Creek Flats Area Plan.
When the plan went to council on May 17, 2017, the arterial was separated from the plan in order to allow for further consultation and engagement so that we could uncover the best possible option.
In spring 2018, the City selected the Jefferson Center External website, opens in new tab to be the convener of a community panel. The panel has now convened. Learn more about the panel External website, opens in new tab
What is a community panel?
A community panel is a representative group of residents and businesses who are randomly selected to advise and recommend a solution on a complex or difficult community issue.
Here is our process and anticipated milestones. For full details on the community panel, visit the Jefferson Center’s False Creek Flats Community Panel webpage.
The False Creek Flats Rail Corridor Strategy was developed by the City in collaboration with the Federal Government, Port of Vancouver, railway operators, and other partners
The City completed the Powell Street Overpass project
Council directed staff to identify a new alignment for the overpass to allow Prior/Venables to be downgraded from an arterial to local-serving function
May 2015 to June 2017
Consideration for the flats arterial and rail corridor separation was included as part of the False Creek Flats Area Planning process
Council approved the False Creek Flats Area Plan. At that time, arterial exploration was removed for further exploration
City selects Jefferson Center as independent convener of the community panel
Recruitment for community panel begins and panel selected
Community panel process begins
Panel convenes and recommends National - Charles for a new east-west grade-separated arterialWe are here
Key documents and links
An informational flyer and poster were mailed out in early April 2018 to stakeholders in the area.
- Statement on the completion of the False Creek Flats Panel process (April 2019)
- False Creek Flats Arterial Community Panel to make final panel recommendation for new route (April 2019)
- Jefferson Center to convene community panel to inform selection of a new arterial through False Creek Flats (May 2018)
- City seeks community panel to guide decision making on new arterial through False Creek Flats (November 2017)
- False Creek Flats Area Plan (6.88 MB)
- March 2016 open house (2.1 MB)
- January 2017 open house on the Draft Area Plan, including the various east-west arterial alignments (7.17 MB)