Prior Street enhancements and pilot
We're taking the first steps in a pilot project to address long-standing traffic safety concerns along Prior and Venables St.
The pilot is part of a Council direction and will:
- Improve walkability
- Reduce vehicle speeds
- Carry out traffic calming
- Increase street lighting levels
- Improve transit stop amenities
The pilot is expected to be in place for approximately one year to capture the changes in travel patterns and seasonal differences.
We'll be monitoring:
- The impacts of potential traffic short cutting on local streets in the Strathcona and City Gate communities
- Vehicle speeds
- Impacts to transit and emergency vehicles
- Access to the industrial area and businesses
City staff are working closely with Translink and Vancouver Fire Rescue Services to monitor and maintain service reliability and emergency response times in the area.