COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update
April 29, 2020: Due to COVID-19, community centres are closed and extra garbage stickers can only be purchased at City Hall (by appointment only) and at participating Vancouver Safeway stores.
If you have garbage that will not fit in your bin, you can:
- Place your extra garbage in a bag
- Tie it securely
- Put an "extra garbage sticker" on the bag
- Set the bag out on your regular garbage collection day along with your garbage bin
Ensure that the sticker faces out to the centre of the street or lane, so it is visible to collection crews. Without the sticker, the collection crew will not pick up the bag.
Buy stickers ahead of time, so you are prepared in case they are needed.
If you often have extra garbage that does not fit in your bin, consider getting a larger bin. For more information online or call 3-1-1.
Where to buy extra garbage stickers
You can buy extra garbage stickers in person at:
From City Hall: $10 per strip of five
From Safeway: $2 per sticker
Taxes don't apply.
- Use standard garbage bags that are up to 66 cm wide × 91 cm tall. No shopping bags, please.
- Fill the garbage bags up to 20 kg. Don't overfill them.
- Put a sticker on each bag.
- Set out the bags next to your garbage bin on collection day.
Steps to ordering garbage bins for your residence. Get rates and suggested sizes.