COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update: status of public art commissions
April 3, 2020: Private sector and civic commissions of public art are proceeding with adjusted schedules to ensure safety and conformance to current health safety standards. The Public Art Committee will meet as soon as we establish safe protocols for convening advisory committees.
Find opportunities for local artists including calls for public art, available studio space, juried shows and exhibitions, and more.
Find artist opportunities in and around Vancouver
We're looking for artworks that have not been exhibited before and that respond to the current circumstances.
The Artists in Communities program supports artists working with communities on issues of joint interest or concern using principles of community cultural development. Check out our annual call for artist applications.
We invite artists to propose new artworks that contemplate the city, its defining features, spaces, and neighbourhoods.
The City of Vancouver Public Art Program invites artists to submit their ideas for public art projects in any scale, scope, and medium.
Provides Vancouver-based professional emerging artists with low-cost studios for up to three years.
We're seeking a mid-career or experienced artist to be in residence with our Engineering Department, in the Green Operations Division.
Creative Spark Vancouver provides small grants to emerging artists to engage young people in arts-based projects. Find out more.
We're inviting proposals for temporary painted murals and digital printed artwork to be installed in the public realm.
Public Art policies and guidelines
Information for artists
- Civic Commission Process (111 KB)
- Considerations for Artists Submitting to Public Art Competitions (537 KB)
The Park Board is not currently accepting proposals for public art donation. Please check back for updates.
- Guidelines for Gifts of Art Intended for Permanent Placement at Public Sites (180 KB)
- Park Board guidelines for the donation of public art or memorials (120 KB)
- Make an outdoor mural
- City of Vancouver Mural Guidelines - Land Use and Development Policies and Guidelines (80.26 KB)
Public Art Committee
The Public Art Committee provides advice and guidance to City council and staff, civic agencies, developers, and citizens on public art matters, including the Public Art Program.
- Public Art Committe Bylaw 6870 (75.10 KB)
Public Art Review Plan
This report summarizes the findings of the first comprehensive evaluation of the City of Vancouver's Public Art Program since it began in 1991.
- Read the Public Art Review Plan (251.67 KB)
Private Development Guidelines and Policies
- Public Art Guidelines for Rezoned Development [RETIRED] (108 KB), applicable to rezonings referred to public hearing on or before July 31, 2014.
- Public Art Policy and Procedures for Rezoned Developments [CURRENT] (760 KB), applicable to rezonings referred to public hearing after July 31, 2014.
Procedures have been established for removing art work from public sites under City or Park Board jurisdiction.
- Read the De-accession Guidelines (22.81 KB)
Additional sources of public art call information
Providing information from Toronto to national and international artists.
A US-based resource that includes opportunities for Canadian and international artists.
A UK-based service listing public art calls.
Information and knowledge on an international scale.