Temporary changes we made during COVID-19
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we made temporary changes to how we use our city streets and public spaces. These changes were made as part of the ‘Making Streets for People’ program, which aimed to help residents:
- Physically distance
- Mitigate the risk of COVID-19 to our communities
- Support economic recovery
What the program included
- Approving temporary patios so people could dine out and businesses could continue to serve customers
- Creating pop-up plazas so people could gather outside
- Calming traffic to make ‘slow streets’ more comfortable for people walking, biking, and rolling
- Making more room to line up and board buses at some key stops
- Repurposing street space for more walking, biking, and rolling along Beach Ave and supporting connections into and throughout Stanley Park
- Making more room for walking and queuing along busy streets
These measures also support our ongoing effort to create safer streets, limit the effects of climate change, and increase social connection between residents.
Important note We have monitored these initiatives since their deployment and received feedback from the community. Many of these changes remain in place pending their transition to other planning processes over the longer term.
Arbutus Street temporary bike path
We temporarily upgraded a portion of an existing route for cycling on Arbutus Street.
Beach Avenue interim design
During the COVID-19 pandemic, new features were implemented on Beach Ave to improve safety and encourage walking, biking, and rolling.
Room to Load
During the pandemic, we provided short-term loading zones near businesses.
Granville Street patio and transit priority pilot
Temporary changes were introduced on Granville St to create more room for people to move and support local businesses.
Robson St sidewalk and plaza pilot
Temporary changes were introduced on Robson St between Jervis St and Burrard St to create more room for people to move, wait for transit, and access local businesses.
Connecting current actions with other City initiatives
How the reallocation of road space aligns with our long-term goals and changes.