Balconies on a light brown four-storey apartment building with short trees in front

Bed and breakfast business licence

A bed and breakfast (B&B) is a temporary accommodation in a home that includes breakfast. To run a B&B in your home, you need a rental property business licence.


Before you apply for a licence

  1. Your address needs to be in zone that allows for bed and breakfasts. To check, phone the Development and Building Services Centre at 604-873-7611.
  2. Your home needs to meet the safety requirements in our bed and breakfast accommodation guidelines PDF file (80 KB). To meet the requirements, apply for a building permit.

After you get your licence

You need to:

  1. Live in your home.
  2. Provide guests with breakfast in your home.
  3. Rent a maximum of two bedrooms in your home.
  4. Host a maximum of four guests, with no other tenants.
  5. Provide guests with a parking space.

Fees and how to pay

Application fee for new business licence

  • $60
  • Non-refundable fee

Licence fee

  • $52
  • Annual fee
  • Licence expires each year on December 31
  • Fee is prorated in your first year based on when you start business

For the official fees, refer to the Business Licence Fees in Schedules A and B of the Licence By-law (380 KB).

How to pay

Pay by:

  • Cash
  • Cheque or money order (made payable to the City of Vancouver)
  • Debit card
  • Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express)

Note We don't accept credit card cheques.

Applying for a licence

  1. Complete the rental property application (74 KB).
  2. Gather the following documents, based on who applies and your business structure.

    As a business owner, you need:

    1. Copy of your current, government-issued photo ID

    As a representative applying for the licence, you need:

    1. Copy of the business owner's current, government-issued photo ID
    2. Copy of your own current, government-issued photo ID
    3. Letter of authorization from the business owner (60 KB)

    As a limited or incorporated business, you need:

    1. Copy of the business owner's current, government-issued photo ID
    2. Provincial or extra-provincial certificate of incorporation issued by the BC Corporate Registry (A federal certificate of incorporation issued by Industry Canada won't be accepted)
    3. Notice of Articles showing your company's list of directors
  3. Apply in person or by mail with your application, required documents, and fee payment to the address below.

Contact us about business licences

Location and mailing address 
Development and Building Services Centre
Ground floor
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm

Tuesday, Thursday
8:30am to 4:00pm

See when your queue number is called

Free 2-hour parking 
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon