Processing of applications
Access to the Business Licence Office is by appointment only. Walk-in service and drop-in appointments are not available.
To help process your applications more quickly, we have moved to a digital approach for applications, enquiries, and payments:
- Submit your business licence application by mail or email
- Renew your business licence online
- Customer enquiries, contact us online
Note Processing times are currently delayed. We will contact you with questions or next steps once we have processed your request.
To rent a residential property you own for 30 days or more at a time, you need a rental property business licence. Even if you hire a property manager.
Related business licenses
Contact for emergency repairs
All landlords must comply with the BC Residential Tenancy Act (RTA) and provide tenants with an emergency contact.
Properties you can rent
You can rent:
- Single detached houses
- Laneway houses
- Secondary suites
- Apartment houses
- Residential/commercial buildings
- Multiple conversion dwellings
- Rooming houses
- If you have 1 or 2 tenants living with you in your house, such as exchange students, you don't need a business licence
- If you have 3 or more tenants in your house, you need a general business licence
Steps to getting a long-term rental business licence
Contact the Licence Office
Development and Building Services Centre
515 West 10th Avenue
PO Box 7878
Vancouver, BC V6B 4E2