Short-term rental business licence

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update

April 12, 2020: We continue to monitor short-term rental activity and the impact of COVID-19 on the industry.

Our short-term rental regulations help protect long-term rental housing and allow residents to earn additional income.

A short-term rental can:

  • Be an entire home, or a room within that home, that is rented for less than 30 consecutive days at a time
  • Only be operated from your principal residence – the home where you live, as an owner or tenant, and use for bills, identification, taxes, and insurance

Are our regulations working?
Read our annual highlights report  (1.4 MB)

Get or renew a short-term rental business licence

 Your strata by-laws or landlord must permit the use of short-term rentals in your home before you apply for a licence.

Apply for or renew a licence

Related business licences:

 All short-term rental operators in Vancouver must have a business licence and include their licence number in all online listings and advertising, or they may be subject to fines up to $1,000 per offence. Review what we've been doing since short-term regulations were introduced

About short-term rentals in Vancouver

Statistics as of July 2, 2020

Enforcement actions

City staff have opened 5,153 case files (1,038 in 2020), closed 4,134 cases (1,478 in 2020), and pursued the following enforcement actions against suspected unauthorized short-term rental units:

active listings in Vancouver*
business licences issued for 2020 (4,187 issued for 2019)
licences flagged for investigations and audits (213 flagged in 2020)
warning letters written (159 written in 2020)
legal orders issued (100 issued in 2020)
listings referred to prosecution (7 referred in 2020)
violation tickets issued (209 issued in 2020)
units identified for inspection (106 identified in 2020)
business licences suspended (201 suspended in 2020)

*Source: Host Compliance


Have more questions?

Use our online form to ask a question about short-term rentals.

Ask now

Get updates

Please confirm your subscription

Click the link in the email we just sent you.