Private recreation activities in parks
Vancouver parks are public spaces and available for all to enjoy. Groups and individuals planning to access public land for informal and casual use do not require a permit.
If you want to use park space for organized recreation activities, whether you charge a fee or not, you must have a permit. These activities could include
- Fitness classes
- Open water swimming practices
- Yoga classes
- Dog obedience lessons
- And more
A permit for private recreation activities on public parks ensures your exclusive use of a designated space during the time permitted.
Important information Permits are not possible at all parks, at all times. We do not give permits for private recreation within Stanley Park from March to December and the seawalls, nor on many of the beach park locations.
Important information All permit holders may be subject to changes as film will take priority. Should this occur you will be offered a make-up class, a class at an adjacent park, or the one day refunded.
Permits can take up to 10 business days for approval.
- Download and complete the application form PDF file (308 KB).
- Email your completed application form and business licence to email@example.com with your event name in the subject line.
- If your application is successful, we will send you a COVID-19 questionnaire. Send your completed questionnaire, certificate of insurance form, and a detailed site or route map to firstname.lastname@example.org with your event name in the subject line.
- For the map, clearly show the intended area of use by using Google Maps with the satellite layer.
- Pay the application deposit fee.
Important information All remaining fees are due at least 10 days before the start of your activity. Permits are not issued until full payment is received. The application fee will not be refunded if you change your mind about the permit. All permits are dependent on the latest public health orders.
Permits are issued on a seasonal basis. Renewal applications must be received at least one month before the new season. There is a $50 non-refundable fee for each permit.
|Season||Dates||Deadline for renewal applications|
|Winter||January 31 to March 31||January 31|
|Spring/summer||April 1 to August 31||March 1|
|Fall||September 1 to December 31||August 1|