As of November 1, 2020, the sale to and the use of fireworks will no longer be permitted in Vancouver
While fireworks will continue at community events such as Chinese New Year, Diwali, Celebration of Lights, and Canada Day, they may only be discharged by a Certified Firework Technicians who holds both a Federal Fireworks Operator Certificate and a Municipal Fire Permit from Vancouver Fire Rescue Services.
Find out more: View Council report PDF file (682 KB)
Note Not obeying the rules may lead to a $1,000 fine per violation.
Note You must be 19 years and older to apply for a fireworks permit, and to buy and set off fireworks.
To protect residents in Vancouver and reduce unwelcomed noise, the sale and use of bear bangers and other exploding animal deterrents is not permitted in Vancouver. Review by-law
You must have a fireworks permit. After you receive a permit, follow these steps:
- Print your permit.
- Bring your permit and two pieces of ID to the fireworks vendor.
- Keep the permit with you when you set off your fireworks.
Only buy fireworks
- Between October 25 and 6pm on October 31
- From retailers who have a permit to sell fireworks
- That are authorized for use in Canada
Note Firecrackers or bottle rockets are not permitted to buy or to set off. Roman candles may be purchased only when they are part of a consumer pack.
Fireworks may cause serious injuries to the eyes, head, or hands. Reduce the risk with proper handling.
Do not try to make your own fireworks! It's illegal and extremely dangerous.
To buy, own, and set off fireworks, follow these procedures and rules.
Rules and by-laws for fireworks
- On October 31
- By the permit holder: someone 19 years or older that complies with all the permit conditions
- On private property, with the property owner's written permission
- On paths that avoid people, animals, buildings, or vehicles
Note Disobeying these rules may lead to a $1,000 fine per violation, according to:
Contact Fire Prevention
Monday to Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm
600 - 575 W 8th Ave
Vancouver BC, V5Z 0C4