Cultural grants aim to celebrate, elevate, and support the range of creative people, projects, and organizations who contribute to Vancouver’s diverse creative stories. These investments will:
- Celebrate and reflect the diversity of the unique creative people who live here
- Uphold, recognize, and support Musqueam, Squamish, Tsleil-Waututh, and Urban Indigenous artists and cultural workers, grounded in inherent and constitutionally protected Indigenous Rights
- Elevate racialized artists and cultural workers, and support work to dismantle racism in the arts and culture sector
- Provide accessible opportunities for diverse public participation in arts and cultural activities
- Build reciprocal and meaningful relations
- Be embedded in community (informed by and led by)
- Centre the artists and people whose stories are being told
- Compensate artists and creative people involved
- Draw from the depth of local knowledge
- Build leadership, knowledge, and resources for artists and cultural leaders across the sector
Applicants who are Deaf/deaf, Hard of Hearing, or live with a disability and need support to complete their grant applications can access up to $500 towards the costs of assistance from service providers. Contact the program staff lead for more information.
Communities and Artists Shifting Culture (CASC): Cultural Project Grants Program
CASC grants support a wide range of short-term, one-time, or limited series arts, cultural, and creative projects delivered by registered non-profit organizations, societies, charities, registered co-ops, and local First Nation Band Councils that advance the goals of our culture plan, Culture|Shift. Non-incorporated collectives and individual artists from equity-denied communities may apply via a sponsor registered organization.
Applications open in VanApply Wednesday, September 14 Applications due Wednesday, October 26, 2022, 11:59pm Council approval of grant recommendation Late January 2023 Project start dates January to June 2023
Cultural Operating Funding - Annual (COFA)
The COFA grant program provides core funding to Vancouver-based, professional non-profit arts, and cultural organizations to develop, create, produce, present, and disseminate artistic work, or provide professional services or space in any artistic discipline (examples: Indigenous arts and culture, community arts, dance, interdisciplinary, literary, media, multidisciplinary, museums/heritage, music, theatre, visual arts).
Application launch October 22, 2021 Application deadline Extended to December 5, 2021, 11:59pm Notification of advance grant recommendation Mid-January 2022 Council approval of advance grant Late January 2022 Payment of advance grant Early February 2022 Council approval of grant recommendation Late March to early April 2022 Grant payment (balance) Mid-April 2022
On September 11, 2019, Vancouver City Council unanimously approved Culture|Shift: Blanketing the City in Arts and Culture Vancouver Culture Plan 2020-2029.
2021 grant recipients:
2020 grant recipients:
- March 31, 2020, Council report PDF file (450 KB)
- July 21, 2020, Council report PDF file (570 KB)
- November 24, 2020, Council report PDF file (285 KB)
2019 grant recipients:
2018 grant recipients:
Contact Cultural Services
453 West 12th Ave
Vancouver, BC V5Y 1V4