Licensing your commercial vehicle with a decal and licence plate

To use a vehicle for business purposes in Vancouver and participating BC municipalities External website, you need an annual commercial vehicle licence. The licence must be displayed on your vehicle with a decal. If your vehicle has no permanent signage, you also need a commercial vehicle licence plate.

Business purposes means collecting or delivering of goods, wares, merchandise, or other commodities in the ordinary course of business. It doesn't include administrative or sales tasks.

Commercial vehicle licences are valid January 1 to December 31 and can be renewed for the next year starting November 1.

 The licence applies to out-of-province vehicles. It doesn't apply to car-share vehicles.

Benefits of a licence in Vancouver

With a licence, you can:

  1. Stop in commercial loading zones and lanes for up to 30 minutes to load or unload materials
  2. Stop in passenger zones for up to 30 minutes (before noon) while loading or unloading goods
  3. Use a metered parking space for free on any day up to 10:30am, except in morning rush hour zones (7:00am to 9:30am)

Applying for and renewing a licence

Renew your licence for the next year starting on November 1 using the instructions to apply below.

The licence you need depends on your vehicle's signage.

If your vehicle has: You need:

Permanent signage that:

  1. Includes the business name and address
  2. Is on both sides of the vehicle
  3. Is no less than 5 cm (2 in) high
  4. Is affixed to the vehicle with:
    • High-performance pressure sensitive vinyl
    • Reflective sheeting
    • Painted enamel

Magnetic signage is unsuitable.

A decal

No signage

A decal and licence plate

Apply and pay for your licence in person at Revenue Services (see contact on this page).

Bring current ICBC vehicle insurance (first page only) that shows the vehicle is being used for commercial or business use.

Your application will be processed immediately.

Pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express), debit card, cash, cheque, or money order (payable to the City of Vancouver).

Prepare your application by completing the multiple vehicle request form  (100 KB).

Apply in person or by fax with the completed form and photocopies of current ICBC registration and insurance documents for all vehicles.

  • By fax to 604-873-7142 (provide a contact name and phone number on the cover sheet)
  • In person to Revenue Services (see contact on this page)

Your application will be processed in about one week. We will contact you when your decals and licence plates are ready for pickup.

Pay in person by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express), debit card, cash, cheque, or money order (payable to the City of Vancouver).

Once your permits are approved, pick up and pay for your permits in person. You may pay by:

  • Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express)

     Your name needs to be on the credit card. Credit card payments are not accepted over the phone.

  • Debit card
  • Cash
  • Cheque or money order (payable to the City of Vancouver)

     Credit card cheques are not accepted.


Annual fees for decals range based on gross vehicle weight. If your vehicle needs a licence plate, there is an additional annual fee. The fees are set for decals based on Vehicle Licensing Bylaw 4021, Schedule A  (40 KB) and for licence plates based on Street and Traffic Bylaw 2849, Section 21.6 (797 KB).

Tax is not charged.

Service Annual fee
New decal: Up to 2,800 kg GVW $25.00
New decal: 2,801 kg – 11,800 kg GVW $30.00
New decal: 11,801 kg – 20,000 kg GVW $35.00
New decal: 20,001 kg GVW and over $40.00
Service Fee
Transfer decal or replace damaged decal $6.25
Service Annual fee
New plate or renewal $200.00 + GST
Service Fee
Transfer plate or replace damaged plate $10.93 + GST

Displaying your licence correctly

  • Decals: affix on your front window just below the rear view mirror
  • Licence plates: securely fasten to the front of your vehicle, or display on your dashboard

Decals and licence plates must be visible from the exterior of your vehicle.

Managing your licence

Visit Revenue Services in person with your damaged decal or plate to get a replacement (see the contact on this page). The replacement fee applies.

Visit Revenue Services in person to get a new decal or plate (see the contact on this page). The fee for a new decal or plate applies. The fee is not prorated.

If you have changed your vehicle:

  1. Remove the decal (and licence plate) from your vehicle.
  2. Exchange the decal to Revenue Services (see the contact on this page). The fee for a transferred decal applies.
  3. Affix the new decal and existing plate to the new vehicle.

If your vehicle has been stolen or was in an accident, provide your ICBC claims letter, salvage release form, or police file number as proof. If you don't have the old decal or plate, the fee for a new decal or plate applies.

You can return the plate to Revenue Services for recycling (see the contact on this page).

The decal and licence fees are not refundable and prorated.

Need to park on the Granville Mall?

Granville Mall commercial parking permit

Access and parking along Granville Street between Hastings and Smithe streets—the Granville Mall area—is not open to general vehicular traffic. Find out if you need a Granville Mall permit to access and park here.

Contact Revenue Services

Revenue Services
Ground Floor, City Hall
453 W 12th Avenue

Monday to Friday
8:30am to 5:00pm

Closed holidays

Fax: 604-873-7142


Relevant bylaws

You must licence your commercial vehicle to comply with these regulations.