An oversize truck permit allows you to drive an oversize vehicle in the City of Vancouver.
For details on vehicle weight limits, dimensions, vertical clearances, and projections:
- Read the Truck Routes and Truck Areas brochure PDF file (5.9 MB)
- Oversize truck permit guidelines PDF file (216 KB)
Refer to the dimensions shown in the guideline. Annual permits are only available when truck dimensions fall within the guideline specifications for "Yearly Trip Permit".
- Permits can be granted for a single trip, or for one year.
- Year-long permits expire on the last day of February, every year.
Other permits required
You may need to reserve parking meter spaces by getting a temporary special zone permit, in order to clear other vehicles from the road for particularly large loads.
You may also need approvals from utility companies or any other City department with infrastructure that can be affected by the large load.
Our engineering client services staff can help you assess the need for additional permits and approvals.
- Apply for single-trip permits at least 5 business days in advance of your trip.
- Carry the permit in the vehicle when driving on City streets, so it can be shown to a police officer for inspection if requested.
- A bond of indemnity of an amount to be determined on a case-by-case basis, or a copy of an insurance policy securing payment to the City of the cost of repairing or reconstructing any street or property damage by the vehicle.
The application timeline varies depending on the complexity of your trip and size of item.
- A single-trip permit can take up to 48 hours to assess and issue.
- A permit to move a very large item, such as a house, could take one to two weeks to review.
Taxes are additional.
5th floor, Crossroads
507 West Broadway (at Cambie St)
Monday to Friday (except holidays)
8:30am to 4pm