Oversize truck permits
An oversize truck permit allows you to drive an oversize vehicle in the City of Vancouver.
For details on vehicle weight limits, dimensions, vertical clearances, and projections:
- Permits can be granted for a single trip, or for one year.
- Year-long permits expire on the last day of February, every year.
Other permits required
You may need to reserve parking meter spaces by getting a temporary special zone permit, in order to clear other vehicles from the road for particularly large loads.
You may also need approvals from utility companies or any other City department with infrastructure that can be affected by the large load.
Our engineering client services staff can help you assess the need for additional permits and approvals.
- Apply for single-trip permits at least 24 hours in advance of your trip.
- Carry the permit in the vehicle when driving on City streets, so it can be shown to a police officer for inspection if requested.
- A bond of indemnity of an amount to be determined on a case-by-case basis, or a copy of an insurance policy securing payment to the City of the cost of repairing or reconstructing any street or property damage by the vehicle
The application timeline varies depending on the complexity of your trip and size of item.
- A single-trip permit can take minutes to assess and issue.
- A permit to move a very large item, such as a house, could take one to two weeks to review.
Pay when you pick up your permit at the Engineering Client Services office.
You can pay with cash, cheque, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express).