What you need to know
Beginning summer 2021, the Vancouver Park Board is collecting anonymous information on visitation to Stanley Park.
For a 12-month period, with the possibility of extension, we are collaborating with Numina External website, opens in new tab to install five sensors in the park to help understand:
- How many people visit the park
- How visitors are traveling through the park (walking, cycling, driving, tour bus, or other)
- When people visit the park
- Which areas are the most popular
This information will help inform future planning work, including the Stanley Park Comprehensive Plan and the Stanley Park Mobility Study. Specifically, it will help:
- Improve mobility patterns and safety throughout the park
- Protect sensitive cultural sites that are significant to Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations
- Understand priorities, park visitation pattern changes, and forecast trends
- More effectively manage service levels and resource allocations, and save resources by ensuring budgets are being allocated effectively
- Help in the restoration of forest, wetland, and shoreline habitats and ecosystems
- Ensure the park's protection, restoration, and resiliency for the next generations
How the sensors work
Numina’s mission is to empower cities with data so they are safer, healthier, and more equitable for the people who live in them. Numina’s sensors use an algorithm to assess anonymous movement patterns in the public realm.
Numina and the Park Board believe that people should know how and why data is being collected and used in the public realm. Learn more about Numina’s privacy-first approach to measuring street-level activity External website, opens in new tab.
This image shows how Numina sensors visualize data collected of bicycles, pedestrians, and cars interacting at a park roadway in Arkansas. Image courtesy of Numina.
Protecting your privacy
Your privacy comes first. This project meets all requirements of the BC Privacy Act. Numina was designed from the start with privacy as a concern, and takes a privacy-first approach to data collection. Learn more about Numina’s privacy philosophy and policy External website, opens in new tab.