The Park Board has beach mats and water wheelchairs for people with mobility challenges to enjoy Vancouver beaches and pools.
Your feedback is important to us. Let us know what you think about accessible beaches.
Mats installed at Kitsilano and English Bay beaches were destroyed during the January 7, 2022 storm. Staff are working to replace the non-slip pathways and new mats will be placed further back from the high tide line in preparation for future storms.
The mats were initially added as a result of feedback given during the public engagement process for VanPlay, a guide for creating vibrant parks and recreation over the next 25 years, where residents asked that beaches be made more accessible.
We have 10 water wheelchairs. They're available daily from noon to 8pm between the Victoria Day and Labour Day long weekends.
They are available on a first come, first served basis at no charge.
Water wheelchairs are located at the following pools and beaches:
- Kitsilano Pool
- New Brighton Pool
- Second Beach Pool in Stanley Park
- English Bay Beach
- Jericho Beach
- Kitsilano Beach
- Second Beach
- Spanish Banks East and West
- Trout Lake
The chairs require two attendants at beaches and one at pools. The person using the chair must wear a personal flotation device (PFD) that we provide.
The floating wheelchairs have a weight capacity of 300 pounds or 136 kilograms.
Lifeguards may limit access to a water wheelchair due to weather, safety, and the ability of attendants to safely maneuver the chair.
- Reservations must be made a minimum of 24 hours before requested date and time.
- Water wheelchairs can be reserved between the Victoria Day and Labour Day long weekends from 12pm to 8pm.
- Minimum age: 5 years old and not weighing less than 14.2 kg / 31 pounds.
Questions? Please contact Kitsilano Tower at 604-738-8535.
To reserve a water wheelchair:
- Please complete and submit the form below.
- You will receive an email reply within a day either confirming your reservation or informing you that the water wheelchair is not available.
Adapted and integrated programs
Learn more about Park Board adapted and integrated recreational programs and services.