Working with the False Creek Elementary School and members of the community, the Vancouver Park Board completed renovations to the Charleson Park Playground in November of 2020 to make it more engaging and accessible for children of all abilities to enjoy.
The new playground features:
- Accessible rubber play surfacing
- A wooden ship play structure
- In-ground trampolines
- A spinner/climber feature
- Swing sets with a toddler swing and basket swing
- A play kitchen
- A hilltop timber deck with views overlooking False Creek
- A metal embankment slide encompassed in a boulder amphitheatre
The project also includes new bench and picnic seating options and a new drinking fountain.
We held an open house in December 2018 at False Creek Elementary School to share ideas and gather feedback on the preliminary concept and equipment options. This feedback was used to revise the concept design and begin detailed design of the new playground.
- Open house information displays PDF file (1.5 MB)
- Open house feedback summary PDF file (197 KB)
- Final concept design PDF file (2 MB)
The Park Board proposed to upgrade the small playground adjacent to False Creek Elementary School, the tower, and the swings due to their age and condition. The lower playground adjacent to the swings was replaced in 2013 and will remain.
Public open house
Construction complete and playground reopens