In alignment with the Accessible British Columbia Act (2021), City Council created an Accessibility Committee to support the city in the implementation of the Accessibility Strategy: Transforming Attitudes, Embedding Change.
The responsibilities of the committee are:
- Provide guidance and advice on the development of the City of Vancouver’s Accessibility Strategy and its renewal.
- Help with the development of a public feedback mechanism to identify accessibility barriers, in relation to the Accessibility Strategy, and provide advice to the City on how to remove or prevent barriers.
- Embed an accessibility lens on matters such as policy, by-laws and planning decisions and encourage others to apply this lens.
- Review and provide feedback on 3-year Accessibility Strategy departmental action plans.
- Review and provide feedback on Accessibility Strategy annual progress reports by departments, including monitoring progress and timelines, and providing recommendations on priorities.