Creating long-term housing is one of the most important ways that we can address the homelessness.
Through our partnership with BC Housing, we are creating approximately 350 new permanent supportive homes which will provide hundreds of residents with safe, secure, and affordable housing.
Their new homes will provide residents with a place to sleep and give them access to basic services that many of us take for granted such as washrooms, kitchens, and heat and hot water.
Homes with supports help create safe, inclusive communities for everyone. Bringing people inside means there are fewer people outside struggling to survive. When a person chooses to live in supportive housing, they:
- Have a warm, safe place to call home
- Can access the necessities of life such as food, washrooms, and laundry
- Can begin to heal from the damage caused by living outside
- Strengthen community connections
What's happeningRezonings approved
Rezonings for two developments that would provide new homes with supports have been approved by Council.
You can learn more about these two developments by visiting BC Housing’s website:
- West 8th Avenue at Arbutus St (2086, 2098 W 7th Ave, and 2091 W 8th Ave) External website, opens in new tab
- East King Edward at Knight St (1406 and 1410 E King Edward) External website, opens in new tab
- Southeast Marine Drive at Beatrice St (1925 SE Marine Dr) External website, opens in new tab
- South Grandview Highway at Copley St (2518-2538 South Grandview Hwy) External website, opens in new tab
Other proposed locations
You can learn more by visiting BC Housing’s website:
Types of support provided
Every building will be run by an experienced non-profit housing society with staff on-site 24/7 to support residents and manage the building. Residents will also have access to life skills training and connections to supports and other services they may need.
The City and BC Housing will work closely with the operators and neighbours to build and maintain a safe, inclusive community for all.
Each site will have an operations management plan that describes how the housing will be managed.