We are working to make parking in the West End easier
It's hard to find parking in the West End resident parking permit zone whether you live there or visit someone who does. To find parking during busy periods, it takes:
- Residents about 5 minutes and over 1 km of extra driving
- Visitors about 10 minutes and almost 3 km of extra driving
Here is our process and anticipated milestones to create and deliver the strategy.
City Council approves the Strategy
Some visitor parking converted to pay parking
Sept 1, 2017
Market-based permit prices begin
Council approves the framework for a West End Pilot Participatory Budgeting process
Sep 2017 - 2018
Data collection to inform visitor and permit parking space conversions
Staff update of the participatory budgeting process to Council
Council approves by-law changes for long term resident allowance
September 1, 2017
West End permit fees increased on September 1, 2017. Permit prices increased to the market rate of $360 per year. The non-market rate is available to residents who purchased their 2017 or 2018 permit before September 1, 2017 and to residents in low-income households. Learn more about the non-market rate.
Any incremental increase in revenue from market rate permit sales will be re-invested in the West End to help deliver community-identified needs.
We revised our recommendations based on what we heard in Phase 2. Key updates included:
- Reduce the proposed new permit rate from $50 to $30 per month. Let renewing permit holders keep existing rates.
- Explain how residents can help decide how to spend new permit revenues.
- Provide details on parking options for people with limited mobility.
- Offer a reduced permit cost for low-income households to the West End.
City Council approved the recommendations.
July – August 2016
We created draft recommendations based on what we heard in Phase 1 and asked for your feedback at two open houses and in an online questionnaire.
November – December 2015
We surveyed and engaged over 4,000 West End residents to:
- Better understand parking issues
- Test support for various tools that could improve parking
- Share ideas