Most new development in the City of Vancouver pays Development Cost Levies (DCLs). A DCL is paid by property developers based on square footage.
DCLs are an important source of revenue for City facilities such as:
- Childcare facilities
- Social and non-profit housing
- Engineering infrastructure
News and updates
2022 DCL update
On June 22, 2022, Council approved amendments to the DCL by-laws, including updated DCL rates, amendments to the for-profit affordable rental housing waiver, and other policies. The amendments made to the DCL by-laws can be found in the Council report below.
Removal of Utilities DCL waiver
The Utilities DCL waiver for secured market rental housing was removed September 30, 2020, and in-stream rate protection expired on September 29, 2021. All secured market rental housing projects are now subject to the Utilities DCL. Visit the Rental Incentive Programs Bulletin PDF file (373 KB) for more details.
The City of Vancouver has four DCL areas. These areas are divided into two district types:
- The Vancouver DCL and the Utilities DCL districts. These districts are city-wide with some exceptions
- Layered DCL districts. Developments in these districts are subject to the Vancouver DCL, Utilities DCL and the layered DCL
DCLs collected within each district must be spent within the area boundary, except housing related DCLs which can be spent anywhere in the city.R View map of DCL districts
DCL bylaws establish district boundaries and rates. Find information related to districts in the DCL bylaws.
- Vancouver (City-wide) Development Cost Levy Bylaw PDF file (77 KB)
- Vancouver Utilities Development Cost Bylaw PDF file (230 KB)
- Area-specific Development Cost Levy Bylaw PDF file (2.6 MB)
Find information on DCL rates, payments, exemptions and waivers in the DCL bulletin.
For more information on the TransLink Development Cost Charge that came into effect on January 15, 2020, visit the TransLink website External website, opens in new tab and our FAQ document PDF file (186 KB).
Get background information on DCLs. Select 'show more' to get details and documents.
If you would like historical reports, email Finance.Growth@vancouver.ca
Subscribe to our mailing list
Understand and compare
Community Benefits from Development
Learn about the community benefits that come with new development in our neighbourhoods.