Leaves and other yard trimmings collected from resident’s properties, boulevard and sidewalk can be put into your Green Bin year-round.
As part of our fall leaf program, we coordinate extra leaf collection for residents with Green Bin service and street sweeping and leaf removal from City streets.
Do your part
Do not rake or blow leaves onto the street, catch basin, sidewalk, boulevard, or bike lane – this can cause flooding and is a safety hazard to people walking or cycling.
Raking or blowing leaves onto the street is a fineable offence under the Street and Traffic By-Law (up to $10,000).
Extra leaf collection
Leaves that don’t fit in your Green Bin are collected city-wide on a series of weekends.
Extra leaf collection schedule
- October 30 and 31, 2021
- November 20 and 21, 2021
- December 18 and 19, 2021
- January 15 and 16, 2022 (Christmas trees will also be collected)
Tips for ensuring pick-up
- Put extra leaves into paper bags or store-bought bins (maximum 100 litres). Crews will only collect extra leaves that are set out in paper bags or store-bought bins.
- Leaves may be collected on Saturday or Sunday (not both days). Set out your leaves for collection before 7am on the scheduled Saturday to avoid a missed collection.
- Place the extra leaf bags or containers in the same location that you receive Green Bin pick up.
- Store extra leaves in a dry or covered area before setting them out for pick up.
- Download the VanCollect app for collection reminders to avoid missed collections.
- Green Bins will not be emptied on extra leaf collection weekends.
- Do not use plastic bags of any kind, even those labelled as compostable or biodegradable. Leaves set out in plastic bags will not be collected.
More fall leaf programs
City crews remove leaves from streets on a regular basis from November to January. Please move your vehicle during street cleaning.
Help prevent flooding in your neighbourhood, adopt a catch basin to care for.
The Vancouver Landfill composting facility creates compost from yard trimmings for sale and donation. You may pick up compost from the landfill.
Keep roads safe
Piles of wet leaves create slippery road conditions, block visibility, and flood drains and nearby areas.
Be a good neighbour: please remove leaves around storm drains.
Raking or blowing leaves onto the street is a fineable offence under the Street and Traffic By-Law (up to $10,000). There are no City By-laws that require residents to clear sidewalks of leaves.