What you need to know
- Summer (April 1 - October 31)
- Year-round (April 1 – March 31)
Liquor service permitted, restrictions apply.
Important note Businesses with a summer permit must remove patios by November 1.
Restaurants, cafés, distilleries, and breweries can apply to have outdoor seating on City sidewalks.
Large sidewalk patios:
- Are located directly against the business storefront, either in front or on the side, where there is suitable sidewalk space and must not obstruct any entrances or exits.
- Various table and chair configurations are allowed within the patio, but the patio must maintain an accessible aisle width and be accessible to persons of all abilities and mobility.
Important note Businesses with a valid BC liquor licence and LCRB External website, opens in new tab approval can serve alcohol to patio patrons.
Simplified drawing requirements, no interior drawing required
For the 2022 summer patio season, we are reducing our drawing requirements:
- Businesses are no longer required to submit interior drawings or seating layouts for the patio permit application.
- For businesses that previously held a Temporary Expedited Patio Program (TEPP) permit, and are applying for the same patio as last year, you can resubmit the same drawing that was part of the TEPP permit.
- For businesses who are applying for a patio for the first time, or are proposing to change their patio from last year, a simple scaled dimensioned drawing is required.
- Don’t need to be done by a professional architect
- Don't need a professional stamp or seal
- Can be done on computer or by hand – as long as they are accurate, to scale, and have dimensions and labeling
Review the requirements and apply.
Monday to Friday
8:30am to 5pm
320 - 507 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Z 0B4