If you have a restaurant or café and want to have an outdoor patio on your property (not the sidewalk), you will need a development permit (for conditional use or for change of use).
You must submit a completed checklist and its supporting documents at the same time as you apply for the development permit.
NOTE: Your total number of guests including the patio cannot be more than you are allowed by your occupancy permit.
NOTE: If your patio sits partly on private property and partly on City property, you will need both a development permit and a sidewalk patio permit.
Apply for a temporary expedited patio permit
From June 1 – October 31, 2020, this free permit allows businesses to set up temporary patios. All patios applied for through the temporary expedited patio process must be removed on November 1, 2020.
You will need to submit these documents with your patio application checklist:
- Site plans
- Floor plans
- Elevation plans
- Landscape plans
Note: These documents are in addition to any that are required for your development permit application. See the checklist for all of the details.
Process & timeline
- Bring in your application and all supporting documents to the Enquiry Centre.
- Staff will review the application immediately to make sure it is complete – incomplete applications are not accepted.
- Once accepted, you application will be reviewed by staff from various departments.
- Staff may ask for additional information or documents, or may require additional steps. Examples of additional steps include:
- Conducting a site inspection
- Notifying owners of the properties around you about your proposed project
- Getting feedback from advisory panels or the public
- A decision will be made typically within eight to fourteen (8 to 14) weeks after you apply. The length of the review process varies with the complexity of the project, the application stream, and the number of review groups and / or additional steps that are involved.
You pay for the permit when you apply for it. You can by cash, cheque, debit, or credit card.