To help residents physically distance and mitigate the risk of COVID-19 to our communities and support economic recovery, we are making temporary changes to how we use our streets and public spaces as part of the Making Streets for People program:
- Approving temporary patios so people can dine out and businesses can continue to serve customers
- Creating pop-up plazas so people can gather outside
- Calming traffic to make ‘slow streets’ more comfortable for people walking, rolling, and cycling
- Making more room to line up and board buses at some key stops
- Repurposing street space for more walking, rolling, and cycling along Beach Ave and supporting connections into and throughout Stanley Park
- Making more room for walking and queuing along busy streets
These measures also support our ongoing effort to create safer streets, limit the effects of climate change, and increase social connection between residents.
We are monitoring the impacts of these initiatives and getting feedback from the public to understand what could become longer term.
What's happeningShare your thoughts on our Making Streets for People program
We want to know how you’re using these spaces and how they could be improved.
Your feedback will inform further improvements and help you keep physical distance while moving around and gathering outside.
Room to Queue, Room to Load
Repurposing curb lanes for walking or customer line-ups.
Granville Street patio and transit priority pilot
Temporary changes on Granville St to create more room for people to move and support local businesses.
Robson St sidewalk and plaza pilot
Temporary changes on Robson St between Jervis St and Burrard St to create more room for people to move, wait for transit, and access local businesses.
Beach Ave and Stanley Park Causeway (Mixed-use streets)
Eastbound lanes are closed to all vehicles from Stanley Park to Hornby St. One lane of Park Dr open to motor vehicles.
Transportation trends during COVID-19
People's transportation choices and changes during COVID-19.
Connecting current actions with other City initiatives
How the reallocation of road space aligns with our long-term goals and changes.