The review was completed in two phases and on November 26, 2019, Council approved the Secured Rental Policy: Incentives for New Rental Housing. The policy encourages new rental housing across Vancouver, while also working toward other City objectives.
Report to Council on proposed changes
Staff are bringing a report to Council on proposed amendments to the C-2 commercial zoning districts. The proposed zoning changes would enable secured rental housing to be developed up to 6 storeys in select C-2 commercial areas. These changes would apply to C-2 commercial areas outside of recently approved community plans or in areas where community planning processes are currently in progress. Staff are also proposing minor changes for all development in C-2 commercial areas city-wide.
This report to Council focuses solely on Secured Rental Policy implementation in C-2 commercial areas. This report does not include any directions for Low-Density Transition Areas (RS and RT zones).
The below information on this page was designed for public engagement purposes in spring 2020. Since that time, staff have refined proposals for zoning amendments in C-2 commercial areas. For more up-to-date information and details, see the Council report PDF file (8 MB).
Proposed policy and zoning changes will be subject to Public Hearing and require Council approval. As part of the Public Hearing process, members of the public have an opportunity to provide comments on agenda items or speak to Council at the Public Hearing prior to any Council decision.
Staff are bringing a report to Council on zoning changes in C-2 commercial areas. Find more details about the report
- Watch this webpage for upcoming updates
- Sign up for our Housing Vancouver Strategy online mailing list
In spring 2020, we held a series of public information sessions to provide details on the actions being proposed to implement the Secured Rental Policy and the policy directions approved by Council:
- Tue Mar 3, Killarney Community Centre (with Cantonese interpretation services)
- Thu Mar 5, Dunbar Community Centre
- Mon Mar 9, CityLab
- Tue Mar, 10 Hastings Community Centre (with Cantonese interpretation services)
- Wed Mar 11, Kitsilano Neighbourhood House
- Thu Mar 12, Polish Hall
- Tue Mar 17, Sunset Community Centre (cancelled due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus))
We received public feedback on the proposed changes at the information sessions, as well as through online comment forms on our webpage. The online comment period was open between March 3 and April 3, 2020.
Background on proposed changes
Following Council’s approval of the amended Secured Rental Policy, we're working on necessary next steps for the implementation of policy directions. This work consists of two primary action areas:
- Proposed zoning amendments in select commercial areas (C-2 zoning districts) to enable rental housing development up to 6-storeys through a ‘pre-zoning’ approach
- Simplified rezoning options for rental housing in low density transition areas (RS and RT zoning districts)
The implementation actions are intended to help achieve a range of desired outcomes under the Secured Rental Policy:
- Increasing housing choice for renter households
- Streamlining processes and clarifying policy requirements
- Diversifying rental housing options
- Responding to the City’s Climate Emergency
- Helping enhance local shopping areas
- Improving livability of rental housing
Late 2018 - Nov 2019
Rental Policy Review, public and stakeholder engagement
Council approves Secured Rental Policy
Nov 2019 - Feb 2020
Public and stakeholder engagement
April - summer 2020
We are here
Referral report to Council on proposed C-2 zoning changes
Public Hearing for commercial (C-2) areas
Additional opportunity for public input regarding Low-Density Transition Areas (RS/RT)