Home > Home, property, and development > Building and renovating > Permits and regulations > Apply for and manage your permit > Electrical permit (for construction or renovation)
Electrical outlet
Trade permits

Electrical permit (for construction or renovation)

You must have a permit to do electrical work, unless you are: 

  • Replacing defective fuses, receptacles, switches, or bulbs with units of a similar type and rating
  • Plugging in household or personal electrical appliances to a standard wall or floor outlet
  • Making minor alterations, repairs or additions to an installation covered by an existing annual electrical permit

New code effective February 29, 2016

The C22.1-15 Canadian Electrical Code, Part 1, Safety Standard for Electrical Installations (23rd edition) has been adopted for use in BC as the BC Electrical Code Regulation 2015.

All applications submitted on or after February 29, 2016 must comply with the new code.

The City is here to help

Using the tools and information below, you can find out if you need a permit for your specific situation, and then apply.

However, if you're still not sure whether a permit is required, you can contact us directly. Our staff can help you determine which permits you need, and help navigate you through the process.

Application requirements

You must be a certified electrical contractor, and have a business license from the City of Vancouver, to apply for an electrical permit (for construction or renovation) unless you meet all of the following criteria:

  • You own a detached single family home
  • You live in that home
  • The home does not have a secondary suite
  • No part of the home is rented to another person
  • You will be doing the work yourself on your home
  • You are knowledgeable about this type of work, and are prepared to meet with and get approval from one of our electrical inspectors
  • Your electrical service is not above 200amp, 120/240

If you meet all the above criteria, you may apply for an electrical permit (for construction or renovation) yourself.


  • Drawings are often required with applications for electrical permits. 
  • Drawings are always required with applications relating to new construction.

Process and timeline


Register for an online account and submit your application.

You may also bring your application to the Development and Building Services Centre (see contact on this page).

In person

  1. Bring the completed application and supporting documents to the Development and Building Services Centre. (Please note: service wait times vary and may be up to 90 minutes.)
  2. If all of the information is complete and satisfactory, the permit will be issued immediately.
  3. A copy of the permit must be posted at the job site.

You must start the work within 90 days, and request an inspection within 1 year. Otherwise, you will have to get a new permit.



Permit fees are based on a number of factors that can vary from project to project.

You pay for the permit when you apply for it. You can pay by cash, cheque, debit, or credit.

The electrical permit fees document will give you an idea of how much your permit will cost. In the case of a discrepancy, see the above fees schedule

Contact the Development and Building Services Centre about building and zoning


Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
Ground floor
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8

Monday, Wednesday, Friday
8:30am to 4:30pm

Tuesday, Thursday
8:30am to 4:00pm

Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot,
between Cambie and Yukon

Get electrical inspection updates

Please confirm your subscription

Click the link in the email we just sent you.