Following direction from Council PDF file (161 KB), we are developing a Gastown Public Spaces Plan which will serve as a guide to:
- Establish a vibrant, people-focused Gastown with enhanced gathering places, streets, and laneways to support a range of activities.
- Pedestrianize Water Street seasonally or year-round, starting with a pilot in summer 2024.
- Improve the street network to support a pedestrianized Water St, including walking, cycling, transit, and vehicle connections and consideration of Cordova as a 2-way street.
- Advance Reconciliation with the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and the səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations and support their visibility on their lands.
- Evolve and deepen the unique heritage feel of the area, including improved street materials and amenities.
- Identify phased project timing and funding.
What's happeningPhase 1 engagement summary
Between August 2023 and January 2024, we asked the community to share their thoughts on:
- Gastown’s public spaces and ideas for how these spaces could be enhanced in the future
- Factors to consider when creating a seasonal or year-round pedestrian zone on Water Street
Did you know?
The red-brick paving, special lamp fixtures, and popular steam clock were introduced by local businesses in the 1970s as a way to beautify the area.
Council motion: A people-focused Gastown
City Council directed staff PDF file (212 KB) to develop a vision for Gastown's streets and public spaces
June - September 2023
Prepared for community conversations
Worked with Local Nations to establish a project relationship and met with local organizations and businesses on issues.
October - November 2023
Gather community feedback on Gastown’s streets and public spaces
Gather feedback on how people use Gastown streets and public spaces and what would improve their experiences.
We are here
Summer - fall 2024
Assess how we can enhance and connect Gastown's streets and public spaces
Explore and assess a range of options for public spaces in the neighbourhood, including pedestrianizing Water Street seasonally or year-round, starting with a pilot in summer 2024.
Water Street pedestrian zone pilot
Fall 2024 - summer 2025
Draft and refine the emerging plan for Gastown’s streets and public spaces
Potential Water Street pedestrian zone pilot (pending)
Finalize and share the Gastown Public Spaces Plan
Present final plan to City Council for approval and share with public.