Wrench twisting a pipe and flames
Trade permits

Get a plumbing or gas permit

You will need a:

  • Plumbing permit to install, change, or upgrade any part of a plumbing system
  • Gas permit to install or replace a natural gas appliance, piping, or venting

 You will not need a plumbing permit to:

  • Repair or replace valves or faucets
  • Repair or replace fixtures (as long as they remain in the same location)
  • Clear stoppages in pipes or drains
  • Repair leaks

Not sure if you need a permit?

Please call the Development and Building Services Centre.

Steps to getting a gas or plumbing permit

Buying a new furnace?

Hire a professional to ensure a safe, permitted, and quality installation. Watch this Fortis BC External website video for tips on hiring a contractor.

Contact the Development and Building Services Centre

Phone: 604-873-7611

Location and mailing address
Development and Building Services Centre
515 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4A8

Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Tuesday, Thursday

See when your queue number is called

Transit nearby

  • Broadway-City Hall SkyTrain Station
  • 99 B-line, #15, and #9 buses

Free 2-hour parking
West 10th Ave parking lot, 
between Cambie and Yukon

Resources and quick links

Online permit and licences portal
Register for an account, submit applications, view the status of applications, and book an inspection.

Steps to getting an inspection
Review the steps required to getting a plumbing or gas inspection.

Bulletins and advisories
Read our bulletins and advisories that interpret building and electrical bylaws and explain building technical and administrative regulations and processes.

Download a sewer connection placard  (128 KB)
All sewer and storm inspections will require a connection placard to be clearly visible and attached to the stakes that identify the capped end of each connection.