We're planning upgrades along Drake Street. The proposed changes include transportation and landscaping upgrades that will improve signal infrastructure, and safety, comfort, and accessibility for people travelling along the street.
The proposed upgrades include extending the two-way protected bike lane from Hornby Street to Pacific Street, which will fill a major gap in the cycling network, linking a number of existing and future routes including Burnaby Street, Hornby Street, Richards Street, and the future Granville Bridge Connector.
In spring 2019, we shared preliminary design options with businesses, residents, and the public. Based on feedback and further study, we developed a recommended design and shared it with the public in early 2020.
What's happeningDrake Street (Burrard to Pacific) improvements
Our final phase of public and stakeholder engagement was completed in early 2020. The majority of respondents supported changes to the recommended design, and shared additional suggestions that staff considered as they refined the final recommended design.
Staff presented recommendations for the Granville Bridge Connector and Drake St to Council on September 16, 2020. Council approved the first phase of Granville Bridge Connector along with Drake Street improvements on September 29, 2020.
Find information on how to watch Council live, speak to Council by phone, or send comments online
Thank you to everyone who attended the open house and provided feedback through the online survey.
Contact the project team
As part of this project, we’re proposing to:
- Expand connectivity in the downtown bike network
- Provide a cycling environment that feels safer and more comfortable for people of all ages and abilities
- Reduce conflicts between buses and people cycling, and improve transit operations where possible
- Accommodate the loading and access needs of adjacent businesses, institutions and residences
- Minimize costs and disruptions by coordinating with repaving or development where possible, using primarily inexpensive measures such as paint and signs
- Maintain on-street parking where possible
Why we are expanding the network
The downtown bike network links many key destinations, including shopping streets, cultural institutions, and major transit centres.
Bicycle ridership is growing on downtown routes, but there are:
- Gaps in the network
- Important destinations that are not connected to protected bike lanes