We are studying the importance of legacy businesses to people in Vancouver. Legacy businesses are stores that a community cherishes because of their:
- Connection to history
- Contribution to neighbourhood character
- Integral role in the community's way of life
These are a key part of our city's economy, and our daily lives. These shops and services can greatly affect how we experience our neighbourhoods.
We will use your feedback to consider what types of strategies might best support these businesses so they can continue to be a vital part of all neighbourhoods. The findings of our study will be relevant to neighbourhoods across Vancouver.
We are in the beginning stages of exploring what the strategy might entail. This study has an initial focus on Vancouver's historic Chinatown.
View material from the legacy business community forum:
- Consultant presentation PDF file (1 MB)
- Table poll sheets PDF file (4 MB)
- Discussion notes sheets PDF file (5 MB)
- Event evaluation sheets PDF file (2.6 MB)
- Graphic recording of group discussion PDF file (680 KB)
- Revitalizing Chinatown summary sheet PDF file (660 KB)
- Chinatown Legacy Business Study summary sheet PDF file (410 KB)
溫哥華市府正在研究商店對溫哥華市民的重要性。我們身邊的社區街道上都存在有價值和值得珍惜的店鋪的例子 ── 即是所謂的“傳統及特色商店”。
Chinatown Transformation Team
The Chinatown Transformation Team (CTT) is a dedicated staff team formed in September 2018 to work with the community and key partners on Chinatown-related work.
The CTT, community, and partners will co-create a plan and implement actions that focus on living heritage and culture for a vibrant Chinatown. Key areas of interest include:
- Tangible living heritage and culture
- Intangible living heritage and culture
- Business and economic development
- Intergenerational relationships and community capacity building
- Relationships with communities around Chinatown
This plan will propose priority projects, actions, partners, and resources to create a new Cultural Heritage Assets Management Plan for Chinatown.
The plan is a key component of the overall process towards a possible UNESCO World Heritage Site application for Chinatown, as adopted by Council on November 1, 2017.
Participants share their thoughts on legacy businesses
Contact a planner
Planner, Downtown Eastside Planning Group
馬凱盈 (Helen Ma - 英、粵語)
「市中心東區組」(Downtown Eastside Group) 規劃師