A vibrant and sustainable Chinatown acknowledges Chinatown’s history, and ensures that cultural heritage, character, and values are sustained for present and future generations.
We need your help to identify the unique places, experiences, and values that make Chinatown special, even the hidden gems that are not visible or well known.
These gems can only be sustained if we all continue to practice these traditions, frequent Chinatown, and be part of its safeguarding. The future of Chinatown’s gems depends on you.
Your input will contribute to an inventory and map that will include all the important things in Chinatown to consider in creating a long-term management plan for the neighbourhood.
What is a hidden gem?
A hidden gem is something that has meaning and is considered valuable to a community. They are part of a community’s identity, and can include tangible and intangible assets such as:
- Oral traditions and stories
- Performing and visual arts
- Traditions and customs
Throughout the summer, we are working with the community to crowdsource Chinatown's important places, experiences, and values.
In June, we held a launch event and community office hours to hear from the public. You can continue to provide your feedback online.
View our engagement material:
- ✰June 1 – 7 Launch event and community office hours
- ✰June – JulyEngagement with local organizations and groups
- ✰Late-JulyCompile draft inventory and map of assets
- ✰FallAnnouncement of inventory and map
This map will be created together with the community, and will help us:
- Understand what is valuable in Chinatown, and how this contributes to Chinatown’s identity and cultural heritage
- Inform future decision-making as we create a long-term management plan for Chinatown
- Highlight Chinatown’s gems so that as a community, we can all play a part in safeguarding and sustaining them
- Inspire a vision of the future that is grounded in Chinatown’s identity and heritage
The map is intended to be updated regularly to reflect changes in Chinatown.
Answer all questions unless they are marked optional.