We’re carrying out critical structural and seismic upgrades to Granville Bridge to ensure this infrastructure continues to serve us well.
These upgrades include:
- Repairing the concrete and steel
- Replacing the expansion joints and bearings
What's happeningStructural repairs and seismic upgrades underway
Lane closures include:
- The main span of the bridge is restricted to two lanes in each direction.
- One lane is maintained on the Howe St ramp in the south direction.
- One lane is maintained on the Hemlock St ramp in the north direction.
Schedule for remaining work on the bridge deck
- Middle lanes: now complete
- Curb lanes and sidewalks: late March to summer 2021
Note Noise, dust, and vibration is expected due to the nature of the work and age of the bridge structure. Noise levels vary from hour to hour and day to day, and at times can be high.
Bird netting installed
The Pelagic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax Pelagicus) is protected in BC per Section 34 of the Provincial Wildlife Act, which prohibits the possession, taking, injury, molestation, or destruction of a bird or its eggs, or a nest that is occupied by a bird or its egg (Government of BC, 1996).
The project construction activities require access to the steel truss sub-structure of the bridge which may generate noise and visual disturbance above and below the bridge deck. This may disturb the colony of Pelagic Cormorants nesting in the substructure of the bridge. We have installed bird netting underneath a portion of the main span of the Granville Bridge to prevent the disturbance of Pelagic Cormorants during construction to comply with regulatory requirements.
The work is anticipated to be completed in summer 2021. The net will remain in place until the current structural and seismic upgrades, as well as the construction of the Granville Connector, are substantially complete.
Did you know?
Previous repairs to the bridge include:
- 1997: seismic retrofit of the north and south piers
- 2009-2010: installation of over 3,000 steel stirrups to the concrete ramps
- 2012: repairs to pier M7 at the north end
- 2013: replacement of the steel truss span bearings
- 2016: repairs to the gantry system
Granville Bridge, Drake St to Granville Loop Park
Fall 2018 - 2021
Monday to Friday: 7am to 5pm, extended hours as needed
Weekends: as needed