This project will result in 1 kilometre of new sewer pipes with a life expectancy of about 100 years.
Separating a sewer system
We are replacing aging combined sewer infrastructure along Oak Street, West 70th Avenue, and Fremlin Street with separated pipes.
The upgrade of the sewer system will:
- Accommodate population growth in the Cambie Corridor
- Effectively manage heavier rainfall expected with climate change
- Handle higher capacities of rainwater and sewage separately
- Help protect the water quality in the Fraser River
The project is primarily funded by developers through the Development Cost Levy, with additional funding from local development projects.
What's happeningConstruction on Fremlin Street begins in the fall
Construction starts along Fremlin Street between SW Marine Drive and W 70th Avenue in September 2023.
Information icon There will be temporary removal of parking and changes to access. Watch for signage.
- Fremlin Street from SW Marine Drive to W 70th Avenue
- W 70th Avenue from Fremlin Street to Oak Street
- Oak Street from W 70th Avenue to W 64th Avenue
Infrastructure upgrades and road improvements are scheduled from September 2023 to spring 2025.
Monday to Friday
- 7am to 7pm for work on Fremlin Street and W 70th Avenue
- 8pm to 5am for work on Oak Street
How this project may affect you
This is a multi-phased project. Information on upcoming phases along W 70th Avenue and Oak Street will be updated closer to construction start.
Here are our planned next steps:
Daytime construction on Fremlin St starts
Daytime construction on W 70th Ave starts
Nighttime construction on Oak St starts
Sewer construction is complete
Final street restoration is complete